Sunday 27 June 2010

The day I left Debenhams


Wow, well I have finished at Debenhams and I’ve got to admit it does feel slightly weird! A job I started over a year ago for a bit of spare cash definitely became part of my second year uni life and has provided many many stories along the way, some amusing, some crazy and some just plain frustrating. One thing’s for sure my friends, family and I have come to the conclusion while marvelling at the spectacle of Debenhams over the past year that there is no doubt the Taunton store could run its own soap. Personally I feel it would triumph over even the most established of UK TV soaps!! I did become a part of the soap... there were ups and downs, funny parts and annoying parts but the thing that really made it for me were the people I worked with on menswear, Kate, Sam, Peter, Kim, Steve, Sophie, Alix, Louise, I have never cared much for TV soaps but I think this is one I might slightly miss in a weird sort of way. The job was not fun, the people however have provided me with much welcome company through the last year of uni, they have provided a distraction from the endless assignments and exam stress when I really needed it, we have laughed together, survived late night Christmas shifts and the crazy hype of Mega week sales together, we’ve taken on the daily mission of the insane account targets together and attempted to win the customers support in any way we can for gold stars, we’ve shared insane challenges together (like nearly killing one another with exercise as we challenged each other to the furthest distance cycled in the cycle to the moon in a month challenge at the front of store) we’ve marvelled at some incredible customers and helped each other through the not so brilliant customers, we’ve been plain silly at times and plain serious at others but the whole thing has been an experience and one that I won’t forget. It has provided me with the opportunity to travel to Costa Rica and therefore it most definitely does deserve its place in this travel blog, as no traveller, however fortunate can travel without first finding a way to fund it! For my friends and family at home... sorry but the Debenhams soap is over.
If any of the menswear team are here reading this I would like to say sorry for my terrible waffle and writing on this blog (actually that goes for anyone who may be reading this, Debenhams related or not, writing is most definitely not a strong point of mine nor a planned career option) but also a big thank you, I won’t miss the folding or the accounts but I will miss some of you as you have helped this year along for me, as I sit here and write this I must admit I am giggling at some of the memories pouring back... the man with the umbrella was a gem though, I won’t be forgetting him!! It’s been an interesting experience and I do hope that we stay in contact, but for now I hope you have a good summer... I’ve requested summer uniforms all round and for you male managers – I’ve suggested suits with shorts (the interviewer laughed, as did I at how that might look... but he got my point) If only they could give you deck chairs on the roof for sunbathing all would be sorted!! Good luck and always follow your dreams, email me when you can, I will always really love to hear from you and probably email back a lot of excited waffle! Hasta luego los amigos de Debenhams! Xxxxx
As far as the update on organisation for the Thursday departure goes... true to student form I have still yet to start, the backpack is still leaning against Bickham and Dru and I still have a mountain of stuff to organise, tomorrow morning is the morning, I will be marching to town, list in hand to sort out my life. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.